Fort Cornwallis, named after the then Governor-General of India, Lord Charles Cornwallis, marks the spot where the founder of Penang, Sir Francis Light, and his crew first landed in 1786, to claim possession of the island.
Initially constructed with nipah palm, it was rebuilt in 1810 with a moat. Unlike other forts, Fort Cornwallis was used as an administrative centre, rather than for defence.
This star-shaped fort is also home to a chapel, where the first recorded marriage was between Sir Francis Light’s widow, Martina Rozells and John Timmers.
Today, Fort Cornwallis, which is located at Padang Kota Lama, is known as the most well-preserved fort in Peninsular Malaysia. It was gazetted on September 8, 1977, under the Antiquities Act 168/1976, as an Ancient Monument and Historic Site.
Adult – RM2
Child (5 – 12 years old) – RM1
Opening hours: 9am – 7pm daily
Fort Cornwallis (Kota Cornwallis)
Add: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, 10200 George Town, Penang.
Note: View larger images by clicking on an image once this page has completely loaded. Then navigate by clicking on the right or left side of image.