I got to know about The Buddies Society of Ipoh, Malaysia, when I visited University Kuala Lumpur Royal College of Medicine Perak (UniKL RCMP) Open Day a couple of days ago. The Buddies Society of Ipoh, an NGO that is supported by the Malaysian AIDS Council based in Ipoh and registered with the Registrar of Societies in 2004, offers support for People Living With HIV / AIDS (PLWHAs), their partners, families and friends.
Well, I’ve never heard of them before but now that I have, let me do my part in promoting the good that they are doing.
What kind of help can one get from the “Buddies”?
* More information about HIV / AIDS
* A sympathetic ear
* Talk to another person with HIV / AIDS
* Supportive “buddies”
What do the “Buddies” do?
* Provide emotional and psychological support
* Provide social support and friendship
* Connecting people
* Provide practical support like home visits, transportation to hospitals, etc.
* Help access financial assistance from relevant authorities
The Buddies Society of Ipoh actively educates the public on how HIV is transmitted. I’d like to share the information here on my blog.
HIV CAN be transmitted:
* through unsafe (without the use of latex condoms) sexual practices.
* through sharing of needles or injecting equipment.
* from an infected mother to her baby during pregnancy, birth or breastfeeding.
HIV CANNOT be transmitted through:
* donating blood.
* body contact like shaking hands or hugging.
* sharing public amenities such as telephones, swimming pools and toilets.
* sharing food and utensils.
* sharing living, working, studying, sleeping space.
* sneezes, coughs, sweat or urine.
* insect or animal bites.
* caring for someone with HIV / AIDS.
The Buddies Society of Ipoh
Address: 106, Jalan Carlos, Ipoh Garden, 31400 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.
Tel: +6019-5731021 (all calls are kept confidential)
Note: View larger image by clicking on it once this page has completely loaded.