Ngah Ibrahim’s Fort (Kota Ngah Ibrahim) is located along Jalan Taiping – Kuala Sepetang, near Matang in Perak. It is also known as Matang Historical Complex or simply, Matang Museum.
Ngah Ibrahim, the son of Che Long Jaafar, was a powerful and wealthy tin miner in Perak. Initially, this fort with a house in the centre, which was built in the 1870s, was his private residence, but was later used as a court for the trial of the murder of the first British Resident in Perak, J.W.W. Birch, in Pasir Salak on Nov 2, 1875.
In the early 1900s, after the court was relocated to a new building in Taiping, this house was turned into the first Teacher’s Training College by the name of Matang College.
When the college was moved to Tanjung Malim ten years later, this building was used as Matang Primary School until the late 1970s.
During the Japanese occupation of Malaya, the Imperial Army made this fort their headquarters and war strategic operations centre.
This fort is under the management of the Museum and Antiquities Department since 1987, as a state historical site.
Ngah Ibrahim’s Fort (Matang Historical Complex)
Kota Ngah Ibrahim (Muzium Matang)
Add: Jabatan Muzium Malaysia, Kota Ngah Ibrahim, 34750 Matang, Perak.
GPS Coordinates: N 04° 48.749′ E100° 40.589′
Tel: +605-8477970 / +605-8472497
Mon – Sun: 9am – 5pm
Fri: 9am – 12.15pm & 2.45pm – 5pm
*closed on first day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Aidiladha
Note: View larger images by clicking on an image once this page has completely loaded. Then navigate by clicking on the right or left side of image.