Despite its modest size, Pangkor Island has a good list of attractions to visit. One of them is Dutch Fort or in Malay, Kota Belanda. The ruins of Dutch Fort are the remnants of an outpost built by the Dutch in an attempt to control trade in the Malay Peninsular.
The Dutch used to call it Fort Dindingh after the Dinding River, the major river that flows in Manjung District of Perak.
According to Wikipedia:
The fort was built by the Dutch in 1670 for storage and protection of tin supplies from the sultanate of Perak. The fort was destroyed in 1690 by the Malays who were discontent with the methods used by the Dutch in obtaining minerals.
It was rebuilt by the Dutch in 1743 and a force of 60 soldiers was placed to guard the fort until 1748, when the force was disbanded and the fort abandoned.
The fort was reconstructed by Malaysia’s museum department in 1973 and was gazetted as an ancient monument and historical site under the Antiquities Act 1976 No. 242 Perak Gazette dated 21 March 1978.
The fort is set a short distance from the ocean and consists of three brick walls with round windows at regular intervals. A small park and some souvenir stores have been set up around the area for visitors and is a popular tourist sight on the island today.
Note: View larger images by clicking on an image once this page has completely loaded. Then navigate by clicking on the right or left side of image.