Fort Cornwallis

Fort Cornwallis, named after the then Governor-General of India, Lord Charles Cornwallis, marks the spot where the founder of Penang, Sir Francis Light, and his crew first landed in 1786, to claim possession of the island. Initially constructed with nipah palm, it was rebuilt in 1810 with a moat. Unlike other forts, Fort Cornwallis was used ... continue reading »